Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Moments of deep reflection

Who doesn't love tiny baby toes??!!

I do, I do!! It's been such an absolute joy to have a newborn around the house again. I am not sure if it's because I've become more laid back over the years, or because he's fallen into a nice schedule, or because I've learned to live on little sleep and function pretty well, or if it's because after dealing with tantrums and whiny kids all day that I'm just grateful he doesn't talk back (yet) I am going to bathe myself in this bliss as long as I can, since I know that all good things will be replaced with a "phase" eventually.

Snuggling up with Daddy on the couch

Some of my favorite baby moments include them snuggling with Randy on the couch. I think the joy is mutual for all.

First Bath and loving it!


What is it about newborns and bath time? This seems to be the only time in life when you don't mind cleaning out the cracks and crevices on someone else. He didn't like the bath so much but certainly loved the warm towel, lotion and massage after, but wouldn't you??


Just hanging out with Mommy...

Who wouldn't love this face? He's such a combination of so many of our loved ones. It's so interesting to me the process of genetics and how you can see other people in your own child. Nickolas, like Jack has a dimple on one side just like my Mom and her Mom. Every time they smile, I am reminded of Grandma Ellen. What a blessing to be reminded of her through my children. He, just like ALL the kids has Randy's cowlicks (The famous Onstine swirl) I am not sure who, on his side had this cowlick but these boys will have buzzed heads for the rest of their lives :-) We love em...


Awwwwww, I'm sleepy

No, kidding. My sentiments exactly!! I had a moment during the very last Men's indoor volleyball game during the Olympics last week. The USA coach who'd lost his Father in law in the crazy tragedy was standing on the sidelines watching his team win gold medals while holding back the tears of years worth of hard work to get the team ready for that single moment. At some point the commentator mentioned that the coaches don't get medals, only the players do. I realized that parenting is very much like that in many ways. Parents are usually the ones behind the scenes putting in the time and effort that you don't see. Staying up late to nurse a baby or worry about an adult child, praying for them, nurturing them, loving them, disliking them at times, evaluating weather you are getting the job done right or not and correcting the course when needed. Our gold medals come in the form of gratitude for the little moments that mean everything to us. A kiss, a hug, an "I love you" That's it. Parents don't get gold medals either but we do get the satisfaction of knowing that we are engaged in the most important work on the planet: Raising up greatness. I love it!! Thank heavens for quiet moments of deep reflection...


No comments: